Out and About in the New Quay area - click
on the graphics to go to each page
Photos of all
the local beaches from Poppit Sands 23 miles to the south and as far as
Llanrhystud, 15 miles to the north- including two beaches that can only
be accessed by footpath. Click on the photo for more information.
Just a few miles north of New
Quay is an attractive Georgian town planned by Alban Thomas
Jones Gwynne by Act of Parliament in 1807.During the ensuing
decades, the town as we know it today took shape
around the harbour and what was once a small fishing village gradually
grew into one of the major trading ports along the Cardigan Bay
structure of the town, earned the town the reputation of being "one of
the best examples of a planned township of small scale in Wales". Many
of the houses surrounding the harbour were owned by the local
sea-captains and many are named after those far flung destinations.
is a small 18th century National Trust Welsh gentry estate which has
survived virtually unaltered. The house was built by John Nash in 1795.
Consisting of the house, servant's quarters, stables, farm buildings
and walled garden, The estate has remained in the same family
for ten generations. Click on the photo for more information. Open to
the public and just a short drive from New Quay (8.3 miles).
Just eight miles to the south of New Quay,
Llangrannog is a picturesque and unspoilt holiday resort with
a well protected beach, cafes, pubs and a cluster of seaside
cottages facing Cardigan Bay. Click on the photo for more information.
| Cenarth on the Teifi
Cenarth is a charming little
community straddling the river Teifi between Cardigan and Newcastle
Emlyn. Here, the River Teifi has made its way through the hard rocks to
produce a spectacular series of waterfalls. There has been a Mill at
Cenarth at least since the 13th century when Cenarth Mill came into the
possession of Edward I when he became Lord of the Manor of Cenarth.
Click on the photo for more information.
Tregaron Bog is
one of the few remaining examples of a raised peat bog in Britain.
Lying beside the river Teifi just above the small market town of
Tregaron on the edge of the Cambrian Mountains, there is now an
excellent walk through the heart of the Bog on a timber decked walkway.
Click on the photo for more information.
Cardigan, on the
estuary of the River Teifi is a very special place to visit for
holidays and enjoy. Its unspoilt townscape and rich heritage provide a
nostalgic backdrop to a thriving contemporary culture of the arts,
festivals and events. The County Council acquired Cardigan Castle and
Castle Green House to begin a community-based approach to the
regeneration of Cardigan.
It is generally accepted that Cardigan Castle was the site of the first
Eisteddfod in Wales. Having successfully captured the site in 1165,
Rhys ap Gruffydd began the building of a stone castle in 1171. New page
on Cardigan coming soon.
|| Cilgerran Castle
Castle is just to the east of Cardigan.
There is canoeing in the Gorge below. Cilgerran Castle stands on a
precipitous, craggy promontory overlooking the river Teifi. The Teifi
here is just
at its tidal limit, so the castle was able to control both a natural
crossing point and the passage of seagoing ships. We cannot be sure
when this strong site was first fortified. It may be the same time as a
Norman castle called 'Cenarth Bychan' . Cilgerran is first mentioned by
name in 1164, when the Lord Rhys captured the castle. New
page on Cilgerran Castle coming soon
|| St Dogmaels and Poppit Sands
St Dogmaels lies
on the southern bank of the estuary of the river Teifi, just down river
from Cardigan. The village is built around the remains of a twelfth
century abbey and has one of Wales' very few working water powered
Just down the
road, where the Teifi enters the Irish sea is the expanse of Poppit
Sands, where there is also a cafe and a lifeboat station. New page
Devil's Bridge is named after a local legend
from medieval times. The first bridge was built in the 11th century and
the 2 more modern bridges built above it. There is a pay turnstile to
view the bridges and the river gorge below it, and another on the other
side of the road to walk the trail down the valley and back to view the
The long trail is quite strenuous and not
suitable for those who don't like long steep tracks. The scenery around
Devil's Bridge is quite spectacular and the mountains in this area were
the location of an important lead and silver mining operation in the
18th and 19th centuries.
|| Silver Mining in Ceredigion
words 'mining in Wales' to most people and they will immediately think
of the South Wales Coalfields and almost certainly not of Cardiganshire
- now known as Ceredigion. Yet in the nineteenth century Cardiganshire
was a very important source of lead and silver and a major employer in
Mid / West Wales while today, the mines are almost all abandoned and
the buildings partially destroyed, but there is much to see. Click on
the photo for more information.
of the most popular archaeological sites in Wales, Pentre
Ifan is a splendid megalithic burial chamber with a huge capstone
carefuly balanced on three uprights. Pentre Ifan means Ivan's Village,
although it has been known as 'Arthurs' Quoit'. Pentre Ifan dates back
to 3500 BC and stands on a ridge above
the Nevern Valley near Newport in Pembrokeshire. The capstone
weighs over 16 tons and is 16ft 6in long and 8ft
off the ground.
Ifan is easily accessed from a minor road over a good footpath.
Strata Florida near
Florida Abbey is a former Cistercian abbey (Cadw) situated just outside
Pontrhydfendigaid, near Tregaron. The abbey was originally founded in
1164. It is open to the public throughout the year, There is a charge
in the summer months and a small visitor centre. Click on the photo for