New Quay Then and Now
OLD POSTCARDS - Many photographs of New Quay have survived thanks to the work of local photographers specialising in post cards. Some of these are Charles H. Dierks and Shirley Brooks. They had premises at 9 George Street in New Quay and at 19 Alban Square Aberaeron around 1910. Another local photographer was Tom Desmond of Priory Street Cardigan.
Harbour Beach in 1910
The Harbour Beach today
Bathing tents were popular in Victorian times to preserve modesty while changing. The second photo taken in September 2020 shows family groups 'social distancing' along the beach.
New Quay from the pier 1910
New Quay from the pier today
New Quay was a busy port 100 years ago. Sailing vessels would bring in Lime, coal, and all manner of goods to be unloaded at the side of the pier. The old enamelled tariffs boards can still be seen on the side of the building on the right which is now used for fishing storage and on the upper floor, is the New Quay Yacht Club.
Thatched Cottage, Francis Street
Now a parking area
Thatched Cottage - This thatched cottage stood on what is now a parking area in front of Adam's Garage on the corner of Francis Street. At the time it was possibly the oldest house remaining in New Quay. The cottage was demolished in 1938. The garage is presently for sale. The house across the road dates from 1861 and was the 'Prince of Wales' pub in 1871.
George Street in 1910
George Street today
George Street in New Quay 100 years ago was much the same as it is now. George Street was first named after 1851. The blue house on the right was once a funeral home before being sold and extended.
Upper Church Street in about 1910
Upper Church Street today
Church Street upper - The building on the right is the Queens Hotel. The innkeeper in 1903 was Evan Davies who hired out ponies and traps and offered a taxi service. They can be seen in front of the hotel in this old photo. The Queen's Hotel has now closed down and is presently unoccupied.
The GWR depot on Park Street in 1911
The same view today
The GWR transport depot on Park Street, 1911. The Great Western Railway motor depot on Park Street was for the benefit of road transportation for bringing customers from the station at Aberaeron. Today the depot has been replaced by private garages. The houses on Park street were mostly built between 1851 and 1861. One Park Street was the White Lion pub.
The pier about 1910
The pier today
THE PIER AND THE PEPPER POT - The Pier was built after 1834 when Daniel Beynon was invited to submit a plan which was carried out after the formation of the New Quay Harbour Company. The small stone lighthouse, 30 feet high, was not built until 1839 and was placed at the end of the pier. It was known locally as the 'Pepper Pot' - an item that it clearly resembled. A severe storm in 1859 damaged the pier and washed the lighthouse away. It was rebuilt but destroyed a second time almost 80 years later during another severe storm on 28th February 1937. The pier was built from Rock carried from a quarry at the end of Rock street (known as Rock Terrace) on rail tracks, a tiny portion of which remains today behind Gingeros cafe.
Hill Street in about 1910
Hill Street today
Hill Street. The first houses on Hill Street were built between 1881 and 1891. One of the properties, 'Bank House' was once Lloyds Bank. Again, little changed in 100 years other than the houses being more colourful.
Lower Church Street about 1910
Lower Church Street today
Church Street - lower.
The former pub on the right was The
Fisherman's Rest, later to be renamed
the Dolau. It is no longer a pub, but an
annexe to the Penwig Hotel. The property
next door is now the 'Pepper Pot'
The property on the left is 'Golwg-y-Mor' a butchers shop selling local produce.
Lower John Street about 1910
Lower John Street today
Lower John Street - The property in the foreground is Cliffside, built by John Evans, owner of the Penwig Estate, after whom South John Street was named. The property was originally a chemist, then a drapers in 1861, a grocery store in 1881, and became a hotel and cafe in 1929. Cliffside is now a gift shop called 'Ocean Blue' It has the only cash point in New Quay.
High Terrace about 1910
High Terrace today
High Terrace - Building started on High Terrace in 1851 when it was known as Chapel Row. At that time there were only 3 houses.
The Memorial Hall before the fire of 1937
The Memorial Hall today
The Memorial Hall - The original Hall building in the 1930s before the fire and rebuilding. photo courtesy Briddon family. The balcony was replaced with a large foyer after a disastrous fire in 1937. It is thought that the cast iron exterior balcony may be now on the gallery inside the hall. During the Second World War the hall was extensively used by the London Nautical School, which had been established to improve the competence of future British seamen following the sinking of RMS Titanic in 1912. The hall has just had a major refit funded by the Welsh Government Community Fund - re - opened by Ceredigion MP Ben Lake on October 30th, 2021.
'The Two Bays' Traethgwyn about 1920
Caravan Park and Traethgwyn today
The large section of coast that is now covered by the Quay West Caravan Park was farmland at the turn of the twentieth century. By the 1940's, much of the farmland had been converted into camping and caravan parks. Today they have all been amalgamated to make the Quay West Caravan Park.
© Rod Attrill