New Quay first achieved notoriety as a haunt for smuggling, and in the "Cambrian Register" of 1795 we learn that New Quay was "a place of infamous notoriety .....for no other purpose than defrauding the revenue.
Penpolion - the New Quay.
The first pier was built in the 1690's from wooden stakes and boulders. It gave its name to the settlement of New Quay - sometimes shown on old maps as 'New Key' and today in Welsh as 'Ceinewydd'.
Ship building at Cei Bach
Cei Bach, just around Llanina Point from New Quay was an important location for boat building.
The Ann Warren
The Ann Warren was a 75 ton schooner, built by Owen Owens at Traethgwyn and owned by Evan Phillips. Photo at Aberdovey.
The Patent Slip at New Quay
The retaining wall for the patent slip was built in 1863. This photo dates from 1870 and shows a sloop on the slip (at left). Note the thatched cottages on Glanmor Terrace.
The Patent Slip today
Today the site of the Patent Slip is now the home of Cardigan Bay watersports. The steel rails and cradle for launching boats have all gone.
This is the rebuilt 'Pepper Pot' lighthouse at the end of the pier in New Quay before it was finally washed away in 1937.
Toll Boards on the pier
These toll boards show fees payable for landing cargo - including five shillings for a pianoforte or barrel organ! .
The Herring fishery
A survey in 1748 notes that the herring industry in Cardigan bay employed 97 small sloops. The record catch was made on October 5th 1745 when 47 boats took just under one and a half million fish!
There were 6 smithies in New Quay in 1851, not only to provide the metal work and chains for boats but for horses and carts and the shoeing of horses.
GWR depot on Church Street
After the train stations were opened in Aberaeron and Llanysul, Great Western Railways brought travellers to New Quay from the stations.
GWR Bus .
This 1907 bus carried visitors to New Quay from Llandysul station.
GWR's Steamship the S.S.Atalanta
The Atalanta is shown here discharging visitors from the North West - probably from Liverpool.
New Quay ladies day out.
The motorised charabanc was the earliest version of the bus, and was often used for outings or day trips. Photo taken at 'Oriel House' on the corner of Francis Street.
Beach tents on 'The Sands' at New Quay
Changing tents were used from the turn of the twentieth century. There is no evidence that the wheeled 'bathing machines' were ever used in New Quay.
New Quay Harbour Beach in 1906
This is a hand-coloured poscard from Desmond's of Cardigan.
The Pier in about 1938
The dinghies are all still clinker built - no fibreglass or inflatables in sight!.
The Harbour Beach in 1960.
Before the pier was extended, the cruise boats would load passengers from the beach using wooden planks.
Traethgwyn - The two Bays
This is Traethgwyn before the first caravan / camping parks apeared.
Raymond Caravan Park
Before Quay West, there were probably 2 or 3 separate caravan/camping parks including Hengell, and Raymond.
Hengell caravan Park
Raymond Caravan Park goes on to become Hengell Caravan Park.
Holimarine Holiday Village in the 1960s.
Holimarine went out of business in 1995, and in 1996 the park was sold to Bourne Leisure and later became Quay West.