Dylan Thomas lived at Majoda, across the bay from New Quay in 1944 and 1945 - two of his most productive years. It is believed that he based many of the characters and location in 'Under Milk WOod' on New Quay locals. The Dylan Thomas Trail takes you to various places around the town frequented by Dylan Thomas at that time.
The Trail starts at the former New Quay Tourist Office - now a cafe. This modern building is built on the site of a former Lime Kiln.
London House - near the Pier, was once the home and shop of Dylan Thomas' friend Norman Evans. He was thought to be the inspiration for 'Under Milk Wood's' 'Nogood Boyo'. Now it is 'The Corner Shop' and New Quay Post Office.
Just up Church Street from the pier is the former pub called the Dolau Inn. This was the favourite pub of Caitlin, Dylan's wife.
The building that now houses the public toilets was once the old lifeboat station. Retired sea captains would meet here daily to gossip and it became known as Cnwc y Glap.
This building was once owned by 'Auntie Cat' from Under Milk Wood. This property has recently been remodelled and converted from a pub to a wine bar and bistro.
This was how the Blue Bell looked in Dylan Thomas' time in New Quay. The image is taken from the film 'The Constant Husband' starring Rex Harrison and filmed in 1954.
Formerly the 'Hungry Trout' Restaurant this building was the post office where Dylan Thomas posted scripts to London. It is now being converted to a restaurant and apartments.
The Black Lion Hotel was Dylan's favourite and was owned by his friend Jack Pat (Patrick). Gomer House across the road was the home of Captain Tom Polly, Dylan's inspiration for Captain Cat.
The Sea Horse used to be known as the 'Commercial'. Prior to that it was known as the Sailor's Home Arms - providing the name for 'Under Milk Wood's 'Sailor's Arms.
Across the car park from the Sea Horse is the Towyn Chapel. The Minister in Dylan's time was Orchwy Bowen - a Poet and a Preacher as was Eli Jenkins in 'Under Milk Wood'. Opposite is the New Quay Memorial Hall, the 'Welfare Hall' in 'Under Milk Wood'.
Wendowel' is on the left along Towyn Road past the Chapel. It was once the home of Elizabeth Williams and Theodosia Legg, Dylan's Aunt and Cousin. He often stayed here with them in the 1930's.
Manchester House was once a drapers similar to that run by Mog Edwards in Llareggub.This shop has been through many changes. Today it is gin shop.
Brongwyn Lane once ran round the coast from New Quay to Dylan's home 'Majoda'. However, much of the coast here - including Maesgwyn Farm - mentioned at the beginning of 'Under Milk Wood', has been washed away.
The Llanina Mansion - Plas Llanina has been restored having almost fallen into ruin since Dylan's time here. It was once owned by Lord Howard de Walden - a patron of Dylan Thomas. Dylan wrote in the 'Apple House' at the end of the garden - sadly now dilapidated.
Dylan lived in the bungalow called 'Majoda' from September 1944 to July 1945. Here he wrote many poems and scripts including 'Quite early one morning'. He also started 'under Milk Wood' while living here. The original house has been replaced by a more modern bungalow.
West Wales Cottages and West Wales Caravans have been operating in and around New Quay since 1999. We are a small family business and operate from our historic smallholding - Once known as Black Lion Fields and then associated with Jack Patrick's family ('Jack Pat' of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood) on the hill above New Quay. Open 9 am to 9 pm Seven days a week. Call 01545 561707 with any questions or enquiries.
Made with Mobirise web page creator